Janice M is a singer, vocal coach and music creative based in Cornwall, UK. She is a recent recipient of Arts Council funding Developing Your Creative Practice supporting her work in jazz improvisation, writing and arranging. Under the mentorship of Sophie Bancroft (Scotland-based jazz vocalist and songwriter – American TV series ‘Six Feet Under’) and through songwriting masterclasses with Sara Colman (critically acclaimed jazz vocalist and songwriter, worked with Laura Mvula and Rebecca Nash), Janice is currently creating new jazz arrangements, solos, musical collaborations, and new writing. In April 2022, she attended the Cromarty Jazz Vocal Workshop with masterclasses from Sophie Bancroft, Sara Colman, Tom Lyne and Scottish Jazz award nominee pianist Brian Kellock.
Janice M has performed as a jazz soloist, duo and trio for Arts Council funded performing arts rural touring programme (2017), St Ives September Festival (2015, 2016), Falmouth Week and private events. Working with pianist, arranger and composer Richard Penrose (performed with Bobby Shew, Tommy Smith and Australian James Morrison; supported Larry Carlton, Courtney Pine; performed at Geneva Jazz Festival, Edinburgh Jazz Festival) and bassist Sam Norman (LA Music Academy, Queen Elizabeth Hall).
Janice M has been a vocalist in the five- to seven-piece band The Grace Notes for eight years singing alongside UK gospel award-winning vocalist Ley Adewole (The Royal Variety Show, Channel 4 TV series ‘People Get Ready’, Best Newcomer award British Gospel Association). Performing their jazz-soul-gospel-reggae music including original material to sell-out audiences at Trebah Amphitheatre (2017, 2018), The Poly Theatre Falmouth, Pendennis Castle, Torquay Riviera International Centre (2017), Porthleven Food & Music Festival, Falmouth Oyster Festival (2017, 2018), Falmouth Princess Pavilions, private events and as part of Arts Council funded rural touring programmes (2016, 2017, 2018).
Janice has led and created arrangements for singing workshops for the sell-out Port Eliot Festival three years running (2017, 2018, 2019), Trebah Live Music Festival (2016) and Foodjam Festival (2017) as well as in Enys Gardens, Potager Garden, on the Helford Estuary and Henley-on-Thames.
An advocate of singing for wellbeing, Janice has been a Singing for Health practitioner for a decade leading community choirs, creating and leading singing sessions for the Alzheimer’s Society and working with elderly people. After training in Singing for Lung Health (Phoene Cave, The Musical Breath) during Covid lockdown 2021, Janice is leading an upcoming funded Singing for Lung Health programme with the Cornwall based charity Music For Good. During the Covid pandemic, Janice organised outdoor singing sessions in her local area, creating arrangements and leading small groups.
After being asked to tutor a lead singer of a band through a local recording studio, Janice fell into vocal coaching and has loved it ever since. With ten years’ experience, across all age-groups, her students have gone on to study Musical Theatre at university, join a performing a cappella group supporting an international recording artist, further their acting/singing career, perform solos in choirs, compete in singing competitions and lead their own singing groups. Current students are based in California, New York, Cornwall and across the UK.
On completion of her DYCP work, Janice will be recording and performing her new jazz arrangements later in the year, including collaborations with pianist Richard Penrose. She will also be performing with The Grace Notes at private events whilst developing new projects locally and in Italy and Portugal.
Janice lives in the heart of Cornwall with her husband and their dog Harbour. In her spare time, she likes surfing and hiking.
Musical education & training:
- Arts Council funding recipient Developing Your Creative Practice (2021-2022)
- Jazz Vocal Workshop Masterclasses with Sophie Bancroft, Sara Colman, Brian Kellock (April, 2022)
- Mentor, Vocal Coaching with Sophie Bancroft (2021-2022)
- Songwriting and arranging masterclasses with Sara Colman (2021)
- Singing For Lung Health training led by Phoene Cave, The Musical Breath (previously associated with the British Lung Foundation) (2021)
- Studied singing and performance under Ley Adewole, UK award-winning Gospel singer (2010-2012)
- Studied singing under Janice Jackson, Singer, Voice Coach (London College of Music tutor) (2004-2006)
- Music Technology AS Level (A), Cumbria Institute of the Arts (2005)
- Jazz/Pop Vocal short course, Leeds College of Music (2003)
- Singing, Liverpool Performing Arts Centre (1999-2000)
- Vocalist, Carlisle Musical Society (1996-1997)
- Classical piano Grade 6, London College of Music (1996)
- Musicians’ Union
- Incorporated Society of Musicians
- Natural Voice Practitioners’ Network
- Singing for Health Cornwall